Monday, January 11, 2010

Making what you do worthwhile~

I had a couple opportunities in the last few weeks to feel good about what I do, or at least extra so. I enjoy my job. I know from the outside taking 'pictures' looks fun- and it often can be. The not so fun work and business 'stuff' goes on behind the scenes and that is sometimes the part that balances out all the fun.

A friend and client lost her home to a fire just days before Christmas. Included in her loss was all the portraits she's had taken in the last years. I was able to locate her orders and nothing felt better than being able to replace those memories for her in a big wrapped box. I thought it would be difficult to match the good feeling that gave until this week.

This past summer I had an opportunity to do an extended family shoot for a family on the occassion of their parent's 50th Anniversary. This last week a friend, and their son passed away in a tragic accident removing snow from a barn roof on his farm. I can't tell you how thankful I am that I know they have those images from that time together. It makes me feel just a little better somehow. Someone told me this weekend what an important job I have. It is occassions like this that make me realize how true that can be. If you haven't had a family picture with your loved ones- do it. Get out your own camera and call a friend to so some snapshots if nothing else.
As mom's we're the ones behind the shutter, taking pictures of everyone else. Get in the picture- don't wait to looks better, lose weight, get a hair cut, or whatever. Live for the moment.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am so thankful for the pictures you took of our family right after my dad was diagnosed with cancer. There isn't a day goes by that I don't look at them! You rearranged your schedule that day to make it work, and I am so glad that we have the memories! You do such a great job!