Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Wall Portraits

As promised, I took some snapshots of some of the walls in my house featuring some wall galleries and portraits. Many people assume as a photographer I must have TONS of portraits of my children- but sometimes I think I have less than many people! The problem isn't taking the portraits, for me- it's figuring out what I want to use on my wall and actually getting it printed and hung. So if the process can be overwhelming for me- I'm thinking it might be as overwhelming for some of you. Maybe some of the images will give you inspiration for your own home.
Here is a 16x20. The extra wide frame makes the picture feel a bit larger than a typical 16x20. I have visions of adding an 11x14 on either side- but that hasn't happened yet.


A shelf space is a good place to display smaller prints or even odd size prints. If you have a particular space you are tring to work with, be sure to mention it to me. I can print your image
in any size~ not just standard sizes- though that is often what is listed.

Not just portraits- but images with meaning! This 10x20 of the SIOUX VALLEY SCHOOL is a perfect size sitting on a small end table in the foyer. A flip album sits in front of it.



Piano tops make a great space for many desk portraits (8x10 and smaller). Collage type frames are avaailable nearly everywhere. Two hung side by side here fill the space well.



I love these two images of my children dressed for the 4th of July from several years ago. Hung on each side of the window- they brighten my office space. (Don't look at my very messy desk- and that was actaully after I cleaned it off! )







Stairways are another opportunity to decorate with meaning. I have a lot of old vintage pictures mixed in here with some new. I have a visions of someday taking all the frames down and painting them all out to match- but that still hasn't gotten done- and probably never will!
I will admit it made my husband very nervous when I started pouding the nails in the wall to
do this--but he did get over it. :) It's defninitely a work in progress.


This plate rack was made by my brother after a pattern my father made for many years, so of course it's special. I'm not much of a plate collector- but it works great for displaying old family
portraits of my mother's family on the bottom, and my dad's family on top.

The top image shows a closer up of the dining room cabinet. I had the two 20x20's hangingon this wall for years, and when we had the cabinet built, we literally designed it around having the two wraps remain. I love how it turned out. The interior shelves hold smaller desk portraits, often on easels and a few pictures even display at the top.




An 11x14 size is a nice easel size. This one is diplayed on a fireplace mantel.


Hanging very similar prints together can tell a story and make a big impact as well.
These 3- 16x24 images hung side by side give much bigger impact than one hanging by itself.



My latest gallery in my family room. I found the large square frame at a conference in January and knew it was perfect for the family session that I had just had done. I love that it holds 10x10 prints and will be easy to switch out at some point down the road. Smaller prints like 10x10s work great when grouped together to fill the space. A single 10x10 would not be nearly big enough for the wall space. On the other side are 2 16x20s hung horizontally.
HOW HIGH should you hang your portraits? There is a rule of thumb that says if the room is one where you are typically sitting in- the portraits should be hung lower- as your eye level will be lower if you're sitting down. You can see in this image the large group frame is not centered on the wall but rather hung towards the bottom. If the room is a hallway or somewhere that people will be viewing the image while standing, it is ok to hang it a bit higher. And, being verically challenged myself- my eye level is a bit lower than most people! ;)



An unframed 11x14- again displayed on an easel in a small corner.


This is a good example of two large prints on a not so big wall. The actually wall width is pretty much what shows in the snapshot above. The wall space is probably 3.5 feet only. These two
close ups on a 16x24 hung over each other fill the space perfectly. (and allow room for the thermosstat inbetween. :)

24x36 canvas wrap. Again, the snapshot shows the actual width of the wall.



If you think you don't have wall space to hang images you love- how about that space between two doors? This spot between my closet and front door is the perfect place for a long narrow image. This canvas wrap is a 5 x 30. I swap this winter scene of my daughter and a cat walking in the snow out with a 12x24 colorful shot of my kids which I bring out and hang in the summer months.
I hope this gives you new ideas on the possibilities of decorating your own space with images that have meaning to you!

No comments: