Tuesday, January 24, 2012

USA TODAY | Jackson MN Photography





It was fun to see a picture of mine in today's edition of USA TODAY. The article features my nephew who has a condition called Cold Urticaria and was featured with my photos in the MAYO HEALTH magazine recently. The story was later picked up by USA Today and can be seen HERE. It's an interesting concept--- a boy living in MN who is allergic to cold!? The story has gotten a lot of feedback and it looks like there are many other people who have symptoms of this same condition. It's not just an allergy to cold- but to any drastic temperature change- and therefore even going into an overly air conditioned building after being outside in the summer, or guzzling a very cold soda too fast can result in the hives or at worst case scenario- anaphylactic shock.
Luckily Grant and his family are learning how to manage the disorder and I think they will be sticking around MN for a while.
I took a variety of pictures for the USAToday article- they requested something outdoors in the snow--- and ultimately chose the one of the boys standing that you see in the article.
A shout out to my friend, Paula Swift of Paula Swift Photography for helping me learn a little more about the photography process of news articles and assisting me with the print and press release contract. Not something I do everyday, so it was nice to have some help from this amazing portrait photographer who spent the beginning of her career as a photo journalist and has had her work published in a variety of publications, including The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, The Washington Times, Time, Newsweek, USA Today, and Esquire. I always love looking at her site and especially her photo journalistic photographs. I encourage you to check out her PHOTO JOURNALISM GALLERY to see the way she 'saw' the news. (Click Gallery 2 and you will see the PJ link at the top).

No comments: